Expand your career with The University of Alabama’s Elementary Education Master of Arts Degree Program. We offer flexible formats and online learning options for in-service teachers and full time learners. Our theoretically and experientially-based programs will allow you to explore innovative knowledge and skills in your chosen academic area of interest.
After your acceptance into The University of Alabama’s Graduate School, you will begin progress toward our fully online Elementary Education Master’s Degree. Visit the Graduate School for admission requirements at https://graduate.ua.edu/
Our Elementary Education Traditional Master’s degree builds upon your existing Class B teaching certificate (or the equivalent) and leads to Alabama Class “A” certification in Elementary Education, grades K-6.
Candidates for this degree maintain:
- GPA of, at least, 3.25 on all coursework selected from the Program of Study
- All courses are completed with a final grade of “C” or better
- A minimum of 30 earned credit hours
Program of Study
Upon admission to the Elementary Education Master’s Degree program, a one-on-one faculty advisor is assigned and available to work with you. The Program of Study document lists the courses. See the Program of Study and a Three Year Plan for Master’s Degree Courses linked below.
- ELED (A) Program of Study (Please contact the Office of Student Services (205.348.6073) if you need a readable copy of the program of study.)
- Three Year Plan for Master’s Degree Courses
When reading the Program of Study, note that, pairs of courses in this program provide an opportunity for you to focus on a selected graduate-level specialty teaching field (e.g., science, social studies, mathematics, literacy, or language arts). While one specialty teaching option is required, two specialty options are strongly recommended.
Transferring Credit Hours
A maximum of 12 transfer credit hours, if approved by your advisor, may be applied toward the degree. Students should see their advisers regarding which courses are appropriate for transfer credit. Note that credits over six (6) years old may not be used, and credits used for the original Class B certificate are not applicable.
Comprehensive Examination for Graduation
All students take a comprehensive examination that concentrates on analyzing and synthesizing information learned through the Master’s degree coursework. The links below offer information about examination procedures, policies, application, preparation, and the rubric used to assess each student’s examination outcome.
- Master’s Comprehensive Examination Application (ELEM and SCTL)
- MA Comprehensive Exam Rubric for Outcome Assessment
- MA Comprehensive Examination Preparation Information
Points of Pride
- 30-credit-hour duration of the program
- Convenience of an online program
- Master’s Degree & Class “A” Certification
- We are honored to be ranked number 6, nationwide, in the 2017 Most Affordable Online Colleges for Elementary Education Degrees. Read more about it at http://www.onlineu.org/most-affordable-colleges/elementary-education-degrees
- GA Application