As a state-approved educator preparation provider (EPP), we realize that students often seek information about licensure/certification requirements in other states. There are two public resources that will help you find information related to educator mobility.

As one resource, the Education Commission of the States publishes a comparison of state policy on teacher license/certification requirements, which is available here:

Updated June 6, 2020, this informational site also links to each state’s specific licensure/certification information for educators coming from outside the state. In addition, each state’s specific information regarding additional assessments required of out-of-state teachers is available here:

Another resource is the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) Interstate Agreement, which facilitates the mobility of educators among the 47 states, District of Columbia, Department of Defense Education Activity, and Guam, that have signed the Agreement. Licensure requirements for out-of-state educators are listed by state here: including an interactive map tool.

Please understand that the out-of-state requirements vary by state and can change without notice. In addition, jurisdiction licensure/certification requirements may be affected by other factors such as teaching experience and coursework. Therefore, it is very important that individuals seeking licensure/certification in another state obtain the most recent information directly from the state in which employment is being sought. You can find contact information on each state licensure office.

As you will notice, some states have full reciprocity as long as the program completer holds valid state certification; others require additional assessments, which may include a content pedagogy or pedagogy assessment if the home state did not require one.

In closing, NASDTEC’s Interstate Agreement website shares an important reminder for all program completers leaving to teach in another state, which is that “reciprocity is always easier if you completed the certification requirements and obtained your teaching credential in the state where you completed your program requirements.”